by Horacio Mendez, Executive Director of the SOI Industry Consortium
The inherent advantages of SOI are essential today. Compared to bulk-CMOS, SOI technology offers
– Lower power, 30- 40% lower power (or higher performance)
– Less process complexity and variability
– More reliable: 10x soft error rate reduction and no latch up
– FD- SOI/ FinFET: stable SRAMs
– Simplifies Digital, Analog and RF integration in SoCs
Increasing variability and complexity in Bulk-CMOS are making it exceedingly difficult to meet the design windows for < 45nm – Power.