Although traditional “can” type TV tuners are still the mainstream approach being used for high-volume terrestrial television set the next-generation ultra-slim thinner TVs with larger screen sizes will need compact Silicon Tuners to enable thinner circuit boards reports In-Stat. Smaller-screen TVs that need to have digital reception capabilities added will also benefit from smaller, lighter Silicon Tuners.
“During this decade, the global market for TV Tuners will be making an epochal transition from traditional “can” type TV Tuners to all solid state Silicon Tuners” says Gerry Kaufhold, In-Stat analyst. “The Silicon Tuner “contenders” have already displaced the “can” tuners in most Satellite TV and Cable TV set-top boxes, and in Personal Video Recorder (PVR) end-products.”
An overview of In-Stat’s market findings include:
- Silicon Tuner market to top US$ 500 Million by 2014.
- Set top boxes lead the market for use of Silicon Tuners
- Integrated Digital TV Sets will drive long-term growth
- Silicon Tuners create “pull through” for Systems-on Chips (SoCs) that include demodulators, video decoders and graphics capabilities
- Can-type Tuners will gradually lose market share to Silicon Tuners through 2014
Recent In-Stat research, World Silicon TV Tuner Forecast in Six Regions (#IN1004693MMT), provides a detailed worldwide forecast by region for the number of Silicon TV Tuners and Satellite Silicon Tuners to be shipped, along with estimates for the annual dollar value for Silicon Tuners used in line-powered equipment. Included in this report are:
- Estimates and forecasts of unit shipments of Silicon TV Tuners in Cable TV, Digital Terrestrial, Satellite TV and PRD - Estimates and forecasts of unit shipments of Silicon TV Tuners used in Integrated Digital TV (iDTV) sets - Estimates and forecasts of unit shipments of Satellite Silicon Tuners - Regional break outs for SIX geographic regions - Estimates for the annual value of three categories of Silicon Tuners in SIX geographic regions - In-depth discussion of technology and market issues affecting the growth of the Silicon Tuner Market - Profiles of key Silicon Tuner vendors, including NXP, Trident, Microtune, Maxlinear, Fresco Microchip, ESS Technology, Elonics, Broadcom, - ST Microelectronics, Silicon Labs, Texas Instruments, ANADIGICS, Abilis Systems and Xceive.