Conexant Systems (www.conexat.com) comes out with a dual-core 32-bit, high-performance, low-power digital audio processor, targeted to applications with the most demanding audio requirements. By integrating high-speed USB 2.0, other key audio interfaces with advanced power management and a high-performance 800 MIPS digital signal processor (DSP), Conexant offers the industry’s most comprehensive audio solution.
The new chip is accompanied by an efficient C compiler, software tools and a suite of DSP algorithms. The CX20805 is based on the Conexant Audio Processing Engine (CAPE) architecture, which lays the foundation for the company’s future audio chip innovations.
Historically, audio performance in consumer electronics devices has been sacrificed in a drive to keep costs down. As consumer expectations for audio quality have increased, along with advances in audio algorithms and hardware, precision sound and clarity have become mission-critical for today’s consumer electronics. With the CX20805, Conexant brings the ultimate in flexibility, performance and power-efficiency for designers to meet their new audio challenges.
In addition to offering customers and partners the powerful new chip with a fully open programmable environment, Conexant also offers the most comprehensive, turnkey solution by integrating an analog mixed signal codec and application-specific software DSP algorithms. Uniquely qualified to bring an audio architecture of this kind to market, Conexant has tapped its long history and expertise in mixed signal, system-on-chip, firmware, software, and systems development experience.
This new architecture, which combines a 32-bit DSP core, advanced power management and rich I/Os, is a first for the audio industry. It also features compute power, rich audio-centric I/O and integral power management and is offered in a small footprint 9 x 9, 116 pin, dual-row QFN package with EVKs available to qualified customers and partners.
Pricing is $5.50 each in 10K quantities.
Key features include:
• A dual-core 32-bit DSP, with each core including dual MAC running at 200 MHz
• Large embedded memory with 520 KB SRAM and 352 KB ROM
• A high-speed USB 2.0 device supporting up to eight endpoints
• Full duplex stereo I2S multiplexed with a four-channel PCM interface
• I2C master and slave
• SPI master and slave
• Quad digital microphone with pulse density modulation support
• SPDIF RX and TX
• Tri-color PWM LED drivers
• 24 flexible and fully-programmable I/Os
• Custom audio bus to connect to multi-channel audio devices
• Programmable PLLs
• AES 128 decryption engine
• Advanced debug features such as on-chip logic analyzer and JTAG
• Dedicated peripheral and memory-to-memory DMAs channels
• Integrated, advanced low-power techniques such as DCDC conversion, power gating, power retention, dynamic voltage scaling and frequency scaling mechanisms to further reduce power consumption
Conexant’s comprehensive portfolio of innovative semiconductor solutions includes products for imaging, audio, embedded modem, and video surveillance applications. Conexant is a fabless semiconductor company headquartered in Newport Beach, Calif. To learn more, please visit www.conexant.com.